Sunday, January 4, 2009

Why Need a Phone?

One night as we were eating ice-cream I asked Jeannie:

Me: Oh, did daddy get you a phone card yet?
(We have not signed her up for a family plan since we need to make sure she had control over the usage of her phone... meaning no text messages, only call if there is an emergency, no long hours call or unnecessary chats... she can use home phone to do it though. So, Johnny came up with the idea of getting her a phone card instead!)
Jeannie: Yeah!
Me: How many minutes do you get this time?
Jeannie: 30mins!
Me: (laughing hard...) What? 30 mins only? Again? (Well, we did that for the last quarter and our teen use all the mintues in less than a month as we predicted!) For how long?
Jeannie: (laughing...) Yeah, I was like... I need more minutes, but daddy said I've to do it for a few more quarters and prove him that I can handle better with my calls before adding me to the family plan.
Me: haha... that's your dad... he always stick to his rules. Well, I hope you will better control of your minutes this time! Remember, it's only for emergency!
Evan: Yeah, I want a phone too!
Me: Evan, I don't think you need a phone until you're in high school!
Evan: True, coz I will lose it anyway! Well, I can always ask my friends to borrow their phone.
Me: (my eyes light up instantly... ) Yeah, that's right! You guys don't really need a phone. You can always borrow from a friend... that way we don't have to buy you a phone, we don't need to get you minutes, and we don't have to replace one if you lose it!!! Isn't that great?

The kids were rolling their eyes, but laughing and calling me crazy! :) I just love teasing my kids!

2 comments:

The Austin's said...

I am so going to use this one on Kiegan. You're exactly right, they can ALWAYS use their friends phones.

PL said...

:) We are trying to delay the process as much as we can, but I know most kids nowadays were given with a cell phone when they start middle school. Johnny and I don't think it's necessary. So, we designated a "family" phone - actually my phone for awhile until Jeannie starts high school last Fall. It's our plan to do it again with Evan.