Sunday, April 19, 2009

Worth of Soul

April 18 (Sat)

Christine G and I took the YW to Elwyn's nursing home to perform some services. The church did it last year at the same location, and the people there loved to see the youth again. There were a variety of service for the youth to choose: weeding, planting, painting a shed, mulching, painting outdoor furniture, car washing, and playing music. All of our girls has signed up to do the painting except Rachel. The girls, Christine and I had been encouraging Rachel to do the service as a group, but Rachel insisted of playing music for the residents just like last year.

When she found out that no one was doing the musical performance, she cried! It's one of the last minute thing that I had no idea about, and did not expect her dramatic reaction. Honestly, I was wondering why she couldn't do something different. Thank goodness Missy L was there and she talked to the facility manager and allow Rachel to do solo. I was really happy to hear the news. Then, Rachel and I went inside the nursing home where she played a whole hour of violin. When she was done, we walked to my van and put up her violin. It was then, I finally understood her persistent on playing the violin when she said, " I don't understand why people are not doing the music this year, the patients like it last year, and they don't really care what I play." I was embarrassed when I heard her comment. All that Rachel wanted was to play and cheer up those spritis. How could I be so judgemental? It sure is a lesson for me to learn!

April 23 (Thur)

There was a stake auxillary training meeting thursday night and I was grateful that I went. The topic for the evening was to focus on helping the Laurels (YW ages 16-17) making a smooth transition to the Relief Society. According to some statistics, the church has been losing about 80% of Laurels during the transition. I was in shock with the numbers. How sad it is to see these precious YW leaving the church and start participating in some of the worldly activities. The leaders from the stakes generated many great ideas on how to keep these YW under our wings. It might not be an easy task, but the work needs to be done!

As I drove home that evening, I reflected upon myself - how blessed I was to be preserved by the Lord during that period of time. (I joined the church when I was 17 turning 18). I remembered myself sitting at the corner wondering what I was doing at the RS meeting. I had a hard time relating to the RS sisters since I neither was ready to start a family, nor having children of my own. Once again, the Lord knew what I had in mind. I was blessed to be assigned with a "buddy", Sister Ng who was my visiting teaching companion. She took me to do visiting teaching, encourageed me to go to the RS Enrichment, and other church related activities. Because of her good influence, I got to meet many good members in the church. They had shown me what a disciple should be like from Christ's true church.

I too wish to be able to do a better job in reaching out to the YWs especially those who are less active, being challenged and needed extra help. As Bishop Cook said, keep checking on them and showed them that they are thinking of, and loved. The job can never be too hard if it's the will of the Lord.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I am shocked too when I see the number. 80% lost. Wow.... Hm... wonder if there should be a sub-group in RS.... like yrs 18 - 25.... I got baptised the same age like you... two months before I turned 18 years old. Very soon, I was called to serve in the YW. Then I went to BYUH. It's not difficult to attend RS at BYUH. I was blessed at the sense... (didn't think of that.) Then served my mission when I turned 21. I attended RS with a companion and at that time, I was not paying too much attention on RS, but the gospel and our investigators... Really didn't know the number is so huge. I think I will pay attention to the YW at my ward, too. Just to get to know them and show my love even though I don't visiting teach them. Thanks for sharing.

PL said...

i was in shock too.. that's why i felt really blessed to go to byuh and be surrounded by all these good people.... i wouldn't imagine how i turned out if i were still in HK. :)

it's not much effort on our part to talk to these YW, or new sister, and yet it makes a big difference to them.