Here are the direct quotes from the apostles:
Elder Dallin H. Oaks said we need to realize what we truly desire and what our priorities are, because our desires ultimately determine who we become and what we receive in eternity.... Let us remember that desires dictate our priorities, priorities shape our choices, and choices determine our actions.”
How true is that! I have been obsessed with my work (trading) lately and have lost my focus on the family. Time to get back on track...
Elder Richard G. Scott, addressing the blessings of eternal marriage, said, “It is so rewarding to be married. Marriage is wonderful. Marriage provides an ideal setting for overcoming any tendency to be selfish or self-centered.”
I so agree with Elder Scott.... A marriage will never work if one being selfish. It also takes a lot of practice to overcome and accept our/our spouses' shortcomings.
Elder Quentin L. Cook expressed appreciation for the women of the Church, saying, “Our women are not incredible because they have managed to avoid the difficulties of life—quite the opposite. They are incredible because of the way they face the trials of life.
His comment below has a very special place on my heart. I often struggled with the fact that my education and knowledge has been wasted. I would be bringing home money if I worked, but I could have been missing out a lot on my children also.
"These are very emotional, personal decisions, but there are two principles that we should always keep in mind. First, no woman should ever feel the need to apologize or feel that her contribution is less significant because she is devoting her primary efforts to raising and nurturing children. Nothing could be more significant in our Father in Heaven’s plan. Second, we should all be careful not to be judgmental or assume that sisters are less valiant if the decision is made to work outside the home. We rarely understand or fully appreciate people’s circumstances. Husbands and wives should prayerfully counsel together, understanding they are accountable to God for their decisions."
Elder D. Todd Christofferson addressed our need to accept and even seek correction, saying, “Correction is vital if we would conform our lives ‘unto a perfect man, [that is], unto the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ.’ Paul said of divine correction or chastening, ‘For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth.’ Though it is often difficult to endure, truly, we ought to rejoice that God considers us worth the time and trouble to correct.”
"Remember that if we resist correction, others may discontinue offering it altogether, despite their love for us. If we repeatedly fail to act on the chastening of a loving God, then He too will desist. He has said, “My Spirit will not always strive with man” (Ether 2:15). Eventually, much of our chastening should come from within—we should become self-correcting."
This is my favorite talk of all!!! I am not perfect, and I doubt I would ever be one. The need of correction provide us the opportunity to change and therefore to be a better person. Do I like to be corrected? Nope, but I think it's about time to rectify my bedtime habit (I go to bed late at night) which my husband has been counseling with me ever since we met!



No comments:
Post a Comment